Sunday, September 14, 2008

Queer kids

I saw an interesting article in the Edmonton Journal a couple weeks ago about the hardships students face if they are gay. You can read it here (until they delete it from their website; I don't know how long they keep these articles posted).

For at least a few years, I've found myself caring more about what people go through when they find themselves attracted to people of the same sex, so I was glad to see the Journal give a voice to some gay students in this article. Because what I've learned over the years (mainly from reading, because I don't have any out-of-the-closet gay friends that I'm aware of), I do think our school boards need to do more to make sure sexual minorities aren't bullied in schools. This policy should probably include some teaching about homosexuality in schools. Like many Christians, I am concerned that such a policy would discriminate against people who believe homosexual activity is morally wrong, but I still think creating that policy is better than doing nothing.

At the very least, I hope all Christians could agree that kids should not be picked on and bullied for fitting gay stereotypes or for having gay parents. And I hope most of us believe that out-of-the-closet homosexuals still need to be treated with proper respect and dignity. Nikita Rowsell's old guidance counselors need to stop telling people they made a choice to be a target, and start standing up for the people who are hurting. I'd like to encourage other Christians to learn more about the experiences of homosexuals from homosexuals themselves, and support anti-discrimination efforts, with some reservations. I don't think this requires compromising our own morals on sexuality. If we just stand by and let others be persecuted because we're afraid to face some public ridicule ourselves, I don't think we're being very Christ-like. Yes, we probably will need to stand up for ourselves, but let's not let that stop us from standing up for people different from us

And since I don't have any out-of-the-closet gay friends, I'd like to start a search for a new gay friend, much like Stephen Colbert's search for a new black friend. Please leave your applications in the comments. (Just kidding.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My best friend is gay, I give you permission to borrow him if you like. :-)

www.slapupsidethehead.com

He won second place in last year's bloggies!

Alex said...

Looks like an interesting blog, but I need my token gay friend to be in Edmonton.

Anonymous said...

I've got one in St. Albert too, is that close enough? I know the cities haven't technically amalgamated yet...