Friday, March 06, 2009

Being an elite athlete is overrated

"StrengthPlanet.com reveals that the average elite athlete will die by the age of 67, considerably lower then the 76 year life expectancy of the average North American."
--"Fame's Dark Shadows", Edmonton Sun, March 1, 2009

Sometimes it seems like my most active friends and acquaintances are the ones who need more medical treatment. Usually it's from strains, sprains, and breaks from being active, not cancer, heart problems, or other issues that are connected to less healthy lifestyles. It seems like they're "out of commission", unable to participate in hiking, sports, and stuff more often than my moderately active friends. Some of the older ones have some serious knee and hip problems too. This doesn't make me want to be as active as them.

And now I see this article saying elite athletes tend to die 9 years earlier than the average North American. The article is mainly about the high-risk lifestyles that some athletes get themselves into, but I wonder if it has anything to do with over-exertion too. Many athletes take supplements and work out like crazy to focus on conditioning their bodies for a specific activity. I wonder, does this conditioning help them live longer, more satisfying lives?

Of course, being too inactive is filled with problems too. I'd like to improve my fitness somewhat, but I'm satisfied with not being anywhere near the caliber of a pro athlete. Besides, I'm 27. It's pretty rare for anyone to get into pro sports at that age.

Disclaimer: Don't take health advice from an engineer, especially when most of it is based on anecdotal evidence, not scientific studies.

No comments: