Sunday, February 04, 2007

Nintendo Wii

Last night I tried a Nintendo Wii for the first time, playing the game "Wii Sports". I enjoyed the game, but this isn't about how much I liked the game. I'm commenting on the characters, the "Mii's". (You can design your own characters for the game. I didn't, because it takes a while, but my friends who actually have the system did create their own.) I think the characters are a ripoff of Homestar Runner. Two reasons:

1. They have no arms.

2. They might not wear pants.

There are some differences. For one thing, the Wii characters have hands. (The hands just float in midair near the torsos.) Also, the Wii characters have shorter shirts. Because of the shorter shirts, we can tell that the Wii characters either wear white skin-tight pants that blend in with their shoes and they wear shorts over their pants when they're boxing, or they have no genitals or butt crack. Either way, it is a little creepy.

So what do you think? (Click here for a screen shot, in case you haven't played.) Do the Mii's wear pants? Does Homestar wear pants? Is Nintendo copying Homestar?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tried the Wii a little while ago as well, and I was really surprised about how much I liked it. For one, I'm not much for computer games.

For another thing, I thought it was lame that we needed this gadget so that we could act like were bowling/playing tennis when we could just as well do those things in real life. I think the fact is that it just eliminates a lot of extra movement that I've generally found to be dull and tiring and skips to the fun part like aiming and hitting the tennis ball.
- Elim