Monday, March 03, 2008

Election day

I'm watching the TV coverage of the Alberta election as I'm writing this. So far it looks like the Progressive Conservatives will have a strong majority, but it's not over yet.

Over the last year and a bit, I've been moderately satisfied with Ed Stelmach's leadership. One of my biggest worries about him was that he's too nice and can't make tough decisions or take criticism. But he's been decisive on issues like natural resource royalties and some other areas that Ralph Klein neglected.

Then there's the issue of integrity. He may not be very charismatic, but he seems trustworthy. But I'm concerned about some things, like having his own party appoint the people running the election--not his party's election campaign, but the actual polling stations and things like that. Maybe this was a lapse in judgment, and I doubt it would lead to any significant electoral fraud. As much as I hate "slippery slope" arguments, I have to say that this could be a slippery slope to increased government corruption. Maybe this wasn't Stelmach's idea, but in his position, he has a responsibility to stop this kind of thing. Since he didn't stop it, it shows some weakness in his leadership.

I also think we should slow down this crazy rate of economic growth here, and Stelmach doesn't want to do that. The Liberals, NDP, and Green Party all want to slow the growth. Actually, I've been more impressed with Kevin Taft than any other Liberal leader (provincial or federal) in my voting years. I tend to think the NDP is too left wing and the Wildrose Alliance is too right wing. I'd like to see the Green Party gain some seats, but so far it doesn't look like they will.

So how did I vote? I'm not telling.

No comments: