Thursday, October 30, 2008

Going the wrong way

On the way back home from a one-day spring skiing trip in Jasper, I saw a flock of birds flying south. I thought they're supposed to fly north in spring. My brother was there too and he is my witness.

Today on the way home from work, I saw a flock of birds flying north. Again, I would've expected them to fly the other way. I didn't have any witnesses with me, but shortly after that, I saw another flock of birds flying south, so if my sense of direction is messed up, there was still at least one flock of birds going the wrong way. A little while after that, I saw several flocks of birds quite close together, all flying north, and then another lone flock flying north.

I wonder what makes these birds go the wrong way. Maybe they got tired and thought, I saw a lake back there. I'll turn around and rest there. Or maybe they read a Yellowknife weather forecast in Fahrenheit and they thought it was in Celsius. Any other far-fetched explanations?

2 comments:

Premee said...

Following favourable late-season thermals in an effort to save a bit of energy before the long haul... that would be my second guess.

My first would be that they're headed to a staging area to eat, rest, and chat before the long haul. Maybe they're headed for some farmer's fields with leftover grain or something like that.

My final guess is that birds near Fort Saskatchewan have ingested too many chemicals and screwed up their internal compasses...

Alex said...

Yeah, all those chemical plants in Fort Saskatchewan probably would screw up birds' internal compasses. But the metals plants couldn't do that, could they?