Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Not quite everything I believed in has lied to me

This post is inspired by the song "Where Are You?" by Our Lady Peace. They didn't sing this song at the concert I was at in July, but thinking about this song back then inspired this post. It just took me a while to get around to writing it. Anyway, here are the lyrics:
Hey you
Have you felt like this before?
You got style but ain't got soul
Are you happy now?
Are you happy, tonight?
Or did Punk Rock get it right?
Is there no future in sight?
Oh is it different now? Is it different?

Come up
Come up come on, come on
Where are you? Where are you?
I'm kicking and screaming
You're not listening
Where are you? Where are you?
Everything I've believed in, has lied to me
But this could be the best day, of my life
The best day of my life

eh you
Have you got everything you want?
Or do you want more than you got?
Is it different now? Is it different, tonight?
Or did Jesus get it right?
Or is the devil behind the light?
Are you happy now? Are you happy?

Come on
Come on, come on, come on
Where are you? Where are you?
I'm kicking and screaming,
You're not listening
Where are you? And where are you?
Everything I've believed in, has lied to me
But this could be the best day of my life

Ohhh sons and daughters,
Mothers and fathers,
Everyone's waiting for our luck to change
Sons and daughters,
Mothers and fathers,
Everyone's waiting, waiting

Cause this could be the best day
And this could be the best day
And this could be the best day, best day, best day

Come on
Come on, come on, come on
Where are you? Where are you?
I'm kicking and screaming
You're not listening
Where are you? And where are you?
Everything I believed in has lied to me
And this could be the best day
And this could be the best day,
And this could be the best day best day, best day
And this could be the best day
And this could be the best day,
And this could be the best day best day, best day of my life
For me, this song gets me thinking about my faith in God. I don't believe that everything I believed in has lied to me, but I've rejected some things that I used to believe. And maybe the times that I rejected those ideas weren't the best days of my life, but they were good. It feels freeing, and it makes it harder for people to control me by telling me what to think. A few ideas that I've rejected:

I've rejected the idea that the universe around us gives scientific evidence for God's existence.

I've rejected the idea that the Bible is infallible.

I've rejected the idea that God created each species separately, not from a common ancestor, or that God had to intervene in evolution to create the diversity of life that we see.

I've rejected the idea that the Bible has to be totally historically or scientifically accurate, or even infallible, to deliver a divine message.

I've rejected the idea that conservative politics reflects God's values better than liberal politics does.

I've rejected the idea that more church involvement, more prayer, or more Bible reading will automatically make a person happier and closer to God. (Or did I ever believe this one?)

Maybe sometime I'll list some ideas that I wasn't raised with that I have also rejected. What ideas that you were raised with (religious or not) have you rejected?

8 comments:

Polliegenesis said...

I have rejected my conservative politics as well. Does anybody know why the Christians infiltrated the right in the first place?

changz said...

I've also sort of rejected the idea that the Bible is infallible, but more in the sense that I don't believe in the dichotomy of "fallible" vs "infallible", or any kind of dichotomy...

Premee said...

I’ve rejected the idea that mental illness is a personality flaw or a weakness.

I’ve rejected the idea that fat (the molecule family, energy-storing tissue, or morphological variation) is morally wrong or bad.

I’ve rejected the idea that the government, the media, my primary care physician, celebrity spokespersons, historical philosophers, random guys on the LRT, my friends, and/or my parents know what’s best for me – and I reject also their standards of ‘best.’

I’ve rejected the idea that the world is not a meritocracy. It always has been and always will be.

I’ve rejected the idea that humans were ‘put’ on Earth for a ‘higher purpose.’ Not that it was an idea I was greatly attached to in the first place, but my genetics degree definitely scoured off the remnants by the time I was twenty.

I’ve rejected the idea that art truly reflects society. I suspect art exists on its own plane with its own rules and standards that apply only very loosely to humanity as a whole. I cite as an example whatsisname who created a self-portrait sculpture out of four and a half litres of his own frozen blood. Seriously, ew.

I’ve rejected the idea that I could ever go on Twitter. Clearly I cannot shut up. Restricting myself to 140 characters seems like cruel and unusual punishment.

Alex said...

Woah! 3 comments, all from different people! A new record for me?

Allison, maybe Christians infiltrated the right because the right seems to support more of the same "do not" rules that Christians support, whereas the left tends to support more of the same "do" rules, which can be tougher to follow completely. (We could always help the poor more than we do, so by focusing on rules like this, we open ourselves up to more judgment.)

Karen, I like that idea of rejecting dichotomies themselves. But maybe some dichotomies are good or at least have some truth in them. I'd say I'm quite skeptical of dichotomies.

Premee, thanks for your list. I also doubt I'll ever go on Twitter. But if you accepted that I have the best standard of what's best, you'd realize how wrong you are about some of those things. :)

Premee said...

Oh, I'm going to need an extensive list of what you consider to be the best before I reject it. Minimum 1000 words, not including bibliography. Illustrations will receive bonus marks provided they are correctly labelled and referred to in the text.

Alex said...

Um. Sorry, no essays from me. But if I did write one, it wouldn't need a bibliography because I am the sole authority on what I think is best.

AutumnGirl-SummerDreams said...

lol. Alex, if you ever write an essay like that, can I look at it together with Premee, and decide which ideas we reject? :)

As for me, I've rejected the idea that I have to pick a side on controversial issue.

I've rejected the idea that logical people make decisions without involvement of emotions.


written from flu central...

Alex said...

Yay for not taking sides!

I don't know if I could write that essay without getting sarcastic in it.