Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Reflections on coming home

One year ago today, I got back from almost two months in eastern Canada. I wrote on this blog several times while I was there, so feel free to check the archives and read more.

I think some people say travel is a good way to get to know yourself, and I think that's how it turned out for me. Maybe it was because of meeting a lot of new people, finding common ground and differences with these people, and not having the usual obligations with church, work, or school. When I got home, I seemed to have a stronger sense of what I believe about God and what I'm not so sure about, and what I want out of church. When it comes to church, I was feeling the need for a place where anyone, including the leaders, can question anything. Yes, I still thought churches should uphold certain beliefs, but people need the chance to search for truth themselves and not just take somebody's word for it. (This could be a tough balancing act.) Even people that have been Christians a long time can experience doubts, even if they're leaders. And I think it's a very natural thing for a person's faith to change over time, sometimes in uncomfortable or controversial ways.

I keep a bit of a prayer journal, and I looked back at it to figure out which date I got home on. I also noticed something I'd forgotten: I wasn't feeling very optimistic about returning to my church. I guess I wasn't sure if I'd find the freedom there to be myself, search for truth, and grow in ways that they wouldn't necessarily choose for me. That evening a year ago, we had a youth leaders' meeting at church. It was a good chance to reconnect with some friends, and I remember our pastor saying something that made him sound open-minded and willing to disagree with the majority of Christians. By the end of the evening I was already feeling more optimistic about staying at the same church.

Eventually I had a few chances to talk with our pastor about some stuff that was on my mind, and I developed a closer relationship with him as a result. Eventually we had a new Sunday school class (or "Discovery Group" as they're called at our church) where we discussed whatever "searching questions" we had on our minds. Most of the time, I really enjoyed that class.

This doesn't mean I never question my place in this church. There are still a lot of people (including many of the parents of people in our youth group) who don't know much about where I stand on certain spiritual issues or what I've been through spiritually in the last couple of years. Sometimes I fear what they'd think if I told them all of that. Even when I do voice my opinions and questions, even with close friends, I'm not always thrilled with the response. But I know I can't expect everyone to agree with me, and these close friends have remained close. I experience alternating enthusiasm and negativity about my faith and my church and sometimes I experience both at the same time.

Maybe it would be easier to start fresh in a new church, but the people there mean a lot to me, and I've had the chance to see some of the younger ones grow from tiny babies to wonderful teenagers (and even a few young adults) who really seem to care about the people around them. A year after my return, there is still baggage from being in the church I grew up in, but hopefully I'll be able to work through this and God will show his strength in my weakness (see 2 Corinthians 12:9). I'm still finding my place (which could take a lifetime), but I think I'm headed in the right direction.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Alex, I think we all think that way about our church and wonder if there is room to have doubts and questions. I remember that same issue for me a few years back and found the answer in a person from the church showing that we all contribute to the strength of our community. My freedom to question things is there because I know that I am in a place that is willing to grow from those questions. God Bless.

Alex said...

Thanks for your comment. Just wondering, who is this?

Anonymous said...

Its not me. Hi Alex.

Anonymous said...

It's not me

-kate

Alex said...

And the mystery deepens...