Thursday, July 19, 2007

Wildlife

Do you ever stop to sit and watch wildlife? Living in the city, I don't get to do this a whole lot, but I like to do it when I get the chance. There's something special, maybe even profound, about the way they go about their simple lives. These animals are incredibly complex (take a biology class if you don't believe me) yet they go about their lives oblivious to the size of the universe or even the size of this world. They have no idea about human governments and societies. If they were born in a place inhabited by humans, they have no idea that all this human technology is something relatively new. Either way they have no idea how it all works, or how plants, other animals, and even their own bodies work. But they contentedly go about their simple lives. Maybe a simpler life would make us more content, and maybe there are things we're oblivious to that we will never understand. We can't even totally understand these animals. For me personally, I sometimes find that admiring God's creation makes me feel closer to God and seems to strengthen my faith. It's not really a logical thing; as far as I can tell it doesn't prove God's existence. I believe God isn't anti-logic but he does go beyond mere human logic.

These pictures were from my trip to Uganda last year. I got to go canoing on a river and watch some pelicans last weekend, but I didn't take any pictures.

For more about God and wildlife, read Job chapter 39.

No comments: