Thursday, November 15, 2007

Eskimos

Last year I attended one regular season football game. It happened to be the game where the Edmonton Eskimos got mathematically eliminated from a playoff spot for the first time in more than thirty years. For the first time in my life, just one year after winning the Grey Cup, they missed the playoffs. Coach Danny Maciocia wasn't a very popular person around Edmonton, despite winning a Grey Cup in his rookie year. (Some people claimed he just inherited a great team and got lucky.) Although I'm no expert on when coaches should be fired, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope that hiring an offensive coordinator would help.

A year later, the Eskimos have missed the playoffs again and Danny Maciocia is keeping his job. After two years in a row of doing what no Eskimos team has done since the 1970s, I thought it was time to let him go. Like many things I say on this blog, this isn't a strong opinion. But they need to do something different.

No comments: