Friday, August 08, 2008

Song idea

Have you ever heard songs where people put Christian lyrics to popular songs, usually with cheesy (sometimes entertainingly cheesy) results? (Here's one example, complete with an amateur fan-produced video, complete with outtakes.)

Well, as much as I don't listen to that kind of music, I accidentally came up with an idea for a song like that. It's to the tune of Joy to the World (the "Jeremiah was a bullfrog" Joy to the World, not the "Let earth receive her king" Joy to the World). It's about the biblical prophet Jeremiah. Here it is:
Jeremiah was a prophet.
That's all I have so far. It needs a bit of work. For one thing, I'm not sure what to do with that "Joy to the world" line, because Jeremiah was known as the weeping prophet. So I'm going to leave it to you, my loyal readers (yes, both of you!), to add more to the song. Any ideas? On the very very slim chance I get royalties from this, I'll split it with you, unless you submit the lyrics anonymously.

But really, what are the odds that I'm the first person with this idea? Someone else has probably written the entire song already.

2 comments:

Elbyron said...

Actually, I have a piece of piano music dating back to the 70's which is a religious version of Joy to the World. It goes:

Jeremiah was a prophet,
Moses was a prophet too.
Jesus was the Son of God and man,
His love shines down on you.
Yes, His love shines down on you.

Sing Joy To The World.
All the boys and girls, now.
Joy to the children of Galilee, Joy to you and me.

The reason to be Christian
is just as plain as day.
The sermon on the mountain,
was made to show the way.
It was made to show the way.

Chorus

When you're lost out on life's highway
and you have no place to hide.
The keys are in the Kingdom,
we're all welcome inside.
Yes we're all welcome inside.

Words and Music by Hoyt Axton

Alex said...

I'm not surprised someone did this already. But if it's piano music, would you even use the lyrics?