Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Peanut butter

I bought peanut butter today.

Is that the most exciting opening line in the history of this blog?

I noticed two kinds of Kraft peanut butter side by side: the regular kind, and the unsweetened, unsalted kind. I had a look at the nutritional information and found that the big print really wasn't the whole story, but I suppose that shouldn't be a surprise. The unsweetened, unsalted stuff had more fat (including more saturated fat) and a few more calories than the regular stuff. Sure, it had no sugar or sodium, but the regular stuff only had 1 gram of sugar and 75 mg of sodium (3% of the recommended daily intake) per serving.

Unless you're extremely sensitive to salt or sugar, or you eat copious amounts of peanut butter, I don't think buying unsweetened, unsalted peanut butter will make much difference in your low sugar, low salt diet. And based on the number of calories, I'd say the extra fat more than compensates for the lack of sugar.

No comments: