Monday, December 29, 2008

The End.

Do you ever notice themes to certain years in your life? I half-jokingly called 2007 my year of worldly success. I started that year unemployed, living with my parents, and without a girlfriend. By the end of the year, I had a job, I owned a condo, and I had a girlfriend.

2008 seems to be the year of endings.

For the first time that I know of, a couple whose wedding I attended are now separated.

My girlfriend and I broke up (in February).

On more of a national and global scale, our economic growth has ended, for a while. Somebody even said, "We are not in a recession. We are not even in a depression. We are at the end of an era." I have no idea if they're right.

For the second time that I know of, a couple whose wedding I attended are now separated.

Recently, the Christian college I attended in 2000-2001 (Taylor University College) announced that it is closing next year. Its seminary will remain open.

Most of these things don't directly involve me, and I can't say that I regret the changes that do directly involve me. But thinking about all this stuff puts me in a bit of a melancholy mood.

2 comments:

Premee said...

Sad but relevant. :-( I read an article on CNN recently saying 2009, in fact, would be the 'lost year.' People are putting off houses, weddings, retirement, travel. "2009 is no good. We'll do it in 2010." It's almost like the year simply won't exist - as if by negating it, we can also forget about how strange and grim 2008 has been.
All the best in 2009 anyway!

Alex said...

Sounds like an interesting article. Personally, 2008 was unique for me, but I wouldn't call it grim. Yes, there were sad parts, including some that I had little or no previous experience with. But there were a lot of good things too, such as getting closer to some friends that I've known for a long time.

I hope 2009 isn't a lost year for me. I'm sure I'll travel, but not necessarily very far. Even without travel, I'm sure I'll grow and learn a lot, and when 2010 starts, I won't be exactly the same as I am now.

All the best to you in 2009 too!