Friday, July 24, 2009

You don't know what love is

"You do what you're told
But inside your heart it is black and it's hollow and it's cold."
--Nine Inch Nails

"You don't know what love is
You just do as you're told."
--The White Stripes

Notice a theme here? Love is supposed to be unselfish, and doing what you're told might seem unselfish, but these writers don't seem to think that's a good thing. So your homework this week is to look for situations where the most loving thing to do is not what you're told.

7 comments:

Premee said...

Blog homework?! Oh man, I thought I was out of the homework days... is a reciprocal post on my blog acceptable, or does it have to be in essay format?

Alex said...

I suppose a reciprocal post on your blog is acceptable, but you get extra credit if you do an essay. (Extra credit comes in the form of Alex points, which aren't redeemable for tobacco, alcohol, or lottery products.)

Premee said...

I started the essay, then realized that I haven't had a rational or coherent thought about love since 1997. May I be excused from this assignment? :-(

Alex said...

What happened in 1997?

At the end of the course, I won't be counting the assignment with the lowest mark. So if you want to skip this one, it can be the assignment that doesn't count. How does that sound?

Premee said...

1997: a sad and stupid tale of teenaged infatuation gone awry, to be told after I've had more than two adult beverages and am feeling maudlin and resentful.

I think I can write the essay eventually, but it will definitely be my lowest mark this semester. Do you take marks off for late assignments?

Premee said...

OK, I'm done, but it's inhumanly bad and can't be published. :-S

Alex said...

Actually, I'm afraid I do take marks off for late assignments. Do I get to read your essay? I promise I won't publish it without your permission.