Friday, October 06, 2006

The other side of the federal accountability act

I heard another side to this federal accountability act issue recently. (Click here to see what I wrote about it before, and click here to see an article about someone's defense of the Act.) The Auditor General is claiming that the new Act would've have stopped the advertizing scandal from coming to light. The article mentioned that existing access to information laws have stopped some government employees from even writing reports. Instead they just give certain reports orally so that the public never finds out.

This makes me wonder if any access to information/accountability law is enough. Maybe a different approach, or something else with an accountability law would work better.

I don't envy politicians. I sometimes find it easy to point out certain things they're doing wrong, but trying to figure out how to do it right is a lot tougher.

No comments: