Friday, September 14, 2007

Frisbee and philosophy

If you throw a frisbee (or a ball) badly, do you ever apologize to the catcher? Sometimes I do, but lately I've been wondering if that's a bad thing. If I apologize for something minor, does that tell the people around me that I think it's something significant and I expect them to apologize when they do the same thing? If so, our efforts at being nice and humble might be backfiring. It could be making us think we have to be good at stuff before our friends will like us. The "I have to impress people before they'll like me" attitude could make it harder to make friends and grow friendships. Ultimately, it can take away our sense of freedom.

Of course we need to apologize for more significant things, but would it make the world a better place if instead of saying, "I'm sorry for that bad throw," we say, "You should've caught that! It was only 40 feet away from you!"?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hehe....we're Canadian. We apologize if someone hits us with a frisbee, let alone when we make a bad throw.

On a more serious note, I wonder if it does effect us to always be apologizing? I know I apologize way too much for things that shouldn't be a big deal. Possibly when I actually genuinely apologize for something, it's not as signifigant then?