Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I'm Christian, unless you're gay--an article

Have a look at this article that a friend posted a link to on Facebook:

I'm Christian, unless you're gay.

Also have a look at the powerful responses that the writer links to at the end of the article.

The odd time that I've written about homosexuality here, I've typically tried to speak out in defense of gay people who are mistreated. But thinking back quite a few years, I did, on occasion, say some things that would've been quite hurtful to gay people. I can picture one occasion, probably in junior high school, when I told someone who'd just said something anti-gay, "I'm homophobic and proud of it." In elementary school, I'd like to think I was a nice and accepting person, but I occasionally joined in making fun of the least popular kids. And based on Facebook, at least one of those people turned out to be gay.

If you heard me say hurtful things like these, I'm sorry. I'd like to think I've treated gays and other mistreated people reasonably well most of the time, but I know there have been exceptions. So once again, I'm sorry. And I want to assure you, if you're gay and you feel like you can't tell most people, if you tell me, you won't lose a friend like that guy in the article did.

No comments: