Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Bad translation

It turns out my posting entitled "French music" had some bad translation. My dictionary claimed the word "pis" means "worse" but someone in Quebec told me that in Quebec (but not in France) "pis" means "and". So here's a slightly corrected rough translation of part of the song "Degenerations":

Your great-great-grandmother, she had fourteen children
Your great-grandmother had almost as many
And your grandmother had three and that was enough
And your mother did not want any; you were an accident
And you, my little girl, you change partners all the time
When you make mistakes, you have an abortion
But there are mornings, you wake up crying
When you dream at night of being surrounded by children

So maybe it'a not as preachy as I thought, but the lyrics are still intersting.

No comments: