Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Fraud

I checked my credit card bill yesterday and found something interesting: a $300 charge from Air Canada on August 19. That was just a few days before I flew home, but I flew on Westjet and I booked my flight at the start of August, so this didn't seem right. I checked into it, and the booking was under someone else's name. The Air Canada person told me I had to contact my credit card company to get it fixed up. So I did that, and after a quick conversation on the phone, it was almost cleared up. I won't have to pay for that transaction, but I will have to sign a form that they'll mail to me, and I'll be without a MasterCard for a week or two until they can send me a replacement card with a different card number. Fortunately I still have a Visa card and a debit card.

This incident makes me glad that I check my bill carefully each month, because if I left it for too long and noticed the fraud too late, I would've been stuck paying for it. The moral of the story: check your credit card bill (and bank statement too) every month for fraud.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oooh wierd...I had that happen to my MC too. Someone was charging wierd things to it in Grand Prairie.

-Kate