Saturday, July 15, 2006

Back from the capital

I'm back from a trip to Quebec City. We were only there for one night, but it was good. Last night I saw some street performers in Old Québec and visited an Irish pub where they had some live celtic music. I heard a few familiar songs like "Irish Eyes are Smiling" and "Farewell to Nova Scotia." Most of the songs were in English, but a few were in French. And they played this one really fast instrumental song. The fiddler's hand was a blur! He was an amazing player.

Today I got to visit the Québec Citadel, the Plains of Abraham, and the Parliament, and I fell in a wading pool. One big difference between Québec and Edmonton is that when you visit a historic site in Québec, you think, "Wow, there was a big battle here!" but when you visit a historic site in Edmonton you think, "Wow, people traded fur here!"

Here's a picture of the Citadel's regimental goat and the goatkeeper:

As always, I've posted more pics in the "Québec 2006" album at my photo site (use the link on the right side of the page).

Ironic event of the week: Someone else in the same program as me told me that Chicoutimi doesn't have enough organic food stores. The funny part: I'm pretty sure I've seen her smoking.

No comments: