Saturday, July 01, 2006

Federalist sighting

I have arrived in Chicoutimi safe and sound. At the Montreal airport I met two Americans who are doing the same program as me in Chicoutimi, so we shared a cab from the airport into the city. I mentioned that it`s Canada Day, but they seemed more interested in sleeping than going to a Canada Day event. So I went by myself. There was live music (mostly in French) and fireworks. There was a good-sized crowd out there, so I guess some people do care about Canada Day here. There were several Canadian flags up there, some `Labatt Bleue` ads, and not a single Canadian government logo in sight.

My French still really sucks, but I did manage to order a sub at Quizno`s completely in French. It helped that the menu was bilingual. Growing up eating out of bilingual food packages might have helped a bit too. Chicoutimi seems to be a beautiful city, and quite a few people here speak English much better than I speak French. The French immersion program starts tomorrow, so starting tomorrow I`m not allowed to speak English. That will be when the learning curve really gets steep.

Bon nuit. (Good night.)

Alex

No comments: